Nov 4, 2010

Planning the Exhaust

I've been pondering on the exhaust. Needless to say, Magnaflow - however, I was never quite sure what size stuff to get and what parts I actually want/need. Was actually even thinking of a freeflow cat but since they didn't really have a fitting dual in - dual out product with correct dimensions, and because I worry about emissions, I chose to again leave the original cat to its own devices.

All became much clearer when I got a chance to view the underside of the car, and the exhaust that's currently on it. Turns out the OEM resonators have been deleted and there's some non-OEM looking pipe for a catback, with the OEM muffler. Judging from the attachment hooks, it has also been removed at some point but has since been re-installed.


Looking back from the catalytic converter which was still original.
Looking towards the front.
Is that not the simplest exhaust you've ever seen on a Merc? Makes it a lot easier to convert to a new Magnaflow catback.

Here's what I settled on: OEM cat -> twin 14445 magnapacks -> single 12468 dual in - dual out muffler -> dual exit pipes as close visually to the ones on my E Coupe as possible. Pipe diameter will be 2.5".

The mufflers will arrive the week after next.

Also, as a point of reference, here's how the current non-Magnaflow setup sounds:


The car sounds somewhat trouser-accidenty already, but it's actually nothing like that inside the car, you can't hear anything in there. Want more sound!

No comments:

Post a Comment