Aug 31, 2011

Exhaust v2.0

Today I got the car back from another shop. They re-did the exhaust tips for me. They weren't very nice about the quality of the previous tips which is understandable. There were some things about them I didn't like either. While they were at it, I had them take the catalytic converter off. I asked them to make an H pipe in its place and mount the lambda sensor in the crosspipe, but they said that was not optimal, it would have to be more of an X pipe for that purpose. That, on the other hand, would've been pretty expensive, so they ended up using the tip of the old cat. They said this results in a great flowing part that fits well with the surrounding pipes. I trust their judgement so that is how the exhaust was done.

General cat area as it stands now:




Complete exhaust:




I have to say, I'm especially happy with how the new tips turned out.





Removing the cat had a tremendous effect on exhaust sound. I had no idea the Mercedes catalytic converter muffled the sound this much. The exhaust is now pretty loud outside the car, and drones inside ever so slightly at 80kph. I would not dream about removing any more mufflers, it's perfect the way it is.

Here's a video of the new exhaust in action. No inside footage, sorry about that.


No comments:

Post a Comment