Sep 28, 2011

Little Things

The man who sent me the mint kickplate for the previous posting also sent me a nice original gearlever:



It's made of really sturdy leather, and is in mint condition.

It's a real bitch to install, though, so it'll have to wait a bit. In order to install it, I'd have to crawl under the car, and also take most of the car surrounding the gearlever apart, which includes the lower part of the center console. This is not something that can be done in late September...



In other news, I managed to change the bulb in the headlight switch.



Technically this is two bulbs. One is for the foglight caution light, and one for the surround lights. The latter is derived via fibre from a single bulb.

Pull off switch, pull off foglight bulb, undo the large flat nut, pry off switchplate, pull out the rectangular bulb housing from the back. Repeat steps backwards, done. Based on memory I think this goes for at least the W126, W124 and W201 Mercs.

It's noteworthy that the OEM bulbs in Mercedes consoles are both low wattage and slightly fogged. These you have to source from a dealership or an OEM part supplier. You can get correct wattage bulbs from spare part retailers but the shade will be slightly off, due to the bulb lacking the fogging. The bulbs are about EUR 2,50 per. Like I said the headlight switch assembly takes 2 bulbs. On manual A/C, the air controls take 4. Gearshift illumination consists of 1 bulb. Note that this is for my car only. If I recall correctly, old W126 models have some differences.

No comments:

Post a Comment