Mar 3, 2012

Ice Track Goodness

This weekend I had the most awesome time with the SEC. I took it up north to Tahko, a ski resort in North Savonia, where the Mercedes-Benz Club of Finland held an icy conditions track day.

Drove there on Friday and back today. The trip was 340km each way so I got a chance to test the car's long-distance cruising capabilities for the first time since I bought it.

The back end of the car appears to have quietened down quite a bit. There's still some crackling from the diff (or shaft joints) at 85kph GPS speed but it's way better than it used to be, I'm thinking it's the diff since it's gotten better with the new diff fluid.

The Becker appears to overheat if I listen to it more than an hour straight. When that happens, it stops playing FM, and cassette sound quality is diminished significantly. I need to inspect the grounds anyway and while I'm doing that, I might see if I can increase ventilation in there.

Cruise control appears to be a bit dimwitted at times but since it's from the 80s I'll give it that one.

Overall, as I was thundering through Savonia, I realized the SEC has turned into what I always wanted it to be: a car that I can drive anywhere, knowing it'll get me home. I wasn't sure of this when I left, but now I am. It's all starting to pay off...

Also, on the way there, I achieved 9,5 l/100km. That really blows my mind.



Anyway, had a blast at the ice track. It was basically perfect sheet ice on a frozen lakebed.

No comments:

Post a Comment