Apr 8, 2012

Good Old-fashioned Botching

Ever since I bought the car, the rear storage compartments have been mutilated by one of the previous owners. Both of them had their bottoms carved off. The driver side box had most of the storage space intact, only the bottom was missing. The passenger side box is missing everything except the lid. I decided to repair at least the driver side box so that there would be somewhere to store light items such as documents.


You can see through the box into the trunk


Started by cleaning the box


It was pretty repairable


Looked like the the bottom had been carved off with a knife. Why anyone would do this is beyond me. Thankfully the edges were reasonably straight.


Just grabbed any plastic I could find


Cut a new floor for the box


Sanded lightly and painted with some cheap matte black spray paint


Glued it on with dual component epoxy and filled remaining holes with Bostik glue.


Upholstered with a thick black fabric.


Here's how the rear shelf looks with the boxes in place.


I don't have the storage compartments in place atm, though - first I need to source a rattle that's coming from the trunk.

No comments:

Post a Comment