Oct 6, 2012

Getting Ready for Winter

Yesterday, the SEC was at the cleaning shop for a repeat cleaning of the rooflining and center console stain. It was free because I mentioned in passing to the shop's owner that the mentioned places had been left dirty last time the car was there. This time they did a better job, the rooflining is nearly perfect and the stain is better, not gone but much better. While the car was there, I think they also did some extra cleaning inside, so all's good.

I also had the chance to borrow a friend's garage in order to prep the car for the winter season. Starting with the wax, I did the usual: wash, clay, quick wash again, wipe dry, wax.



Applied 2 coats of longlife wax to the hood and side sheetmetal, and 1 coat to other panels. I also waxed the windows, except windshield. This improves the look of the glasswork and should improve visibility in the rain.

Also polished and waxed the front bumper's brightwork, neglected to take a pic.



Also, I got this from ebay. It's the so-called lightning sticker, warning drivers from touching the high-voltage ignition leads. All Mercedes from the period should have one like this. Note, this has a W123 part number. It is no longer available at the dealers, they only sell the "new design" as seen on W124s.

 I spent some time cleaning the engine bay again, had the airbox off and wiped down the valve covers etc. While I had the airbox off I decided to oil the throttle linkage again. I also oiled the hood hinges and door/trunk lock mechanisms.




Car should be ready for the winter season. Doing all this only took me about 12 hours, so not too bad.

No comments:

Post a Comment